Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mile Marker 3: DIY Nighstands

Good morning!

I’m sick today. :( My nose is clogged to the ceiling and my throat is swollen the size of North America…
My husband and I are supposed to leave for Indiana when he gets home from work.  I’m not going to lie, I’m not all that excited about driving 8.5 hrs feeling like this. YET! I canNOT wait to see my family and to go wedding dress shopping with my girl Hannah (I’ll blog another time about my magical gift of matchmaker)!

Anyway, being that I’m home sick, I figured I would take this time to post the last two DIYs.  I would like to apologize in advance for the picture quality.  These were taken indoors at night with just an overhead ceiling light…not my best work.

This last Sunday after church, Kody and I decided to hit up a few flea markets.  We found a matching set of old crates that gave us the idea to make a couple of DIY nightstands.

We have kind of a country rustic theme to our house, so we thought these would go perfectly next to our bed.

Next, we hit up Lowes to find some wooden legs to attach.  I found the PERFECT wooden legs with these little metal feet, but they were on clearance and there were only 2 left.  So, we found some plain wooden deck railing that we figured we could trim to size.

We measured the height of the bed and then subtracted the height of the crates.  We trimmed the wooden railing to fit the remaining height.

Next, I knew I wanted to paint the legs a navy blue, but I wanted the wood grain to show through. So, with the help of my friend Jessi, we watered down the paint and brushed it on.  Right after, we wiped it off with paper towels.

Next we covered them in a coat of polyurethane to seal the wood.  We let that dry for 24 hours.

Then, Kody just used screws to attach the legs.

Thats it! I’ll be honest, they’re not my favorite DIY ever, but they look great next to the bed!

We have been wanting to do a floor to ceiling headboard made from old wood pallets.  Yesterday, we finally got our hands on all the pallets we will need! Stay tuned for that in the future!

Lastly, I have been wanting to make a mason jar soap dispenser.  This morning, I finally did.  It took about 5 minutes…and then I decided to paint it, so it took just a little bit longer.

I’m not a very patient person, so I didn’t wait for the paint to dry completely before I started pumping the soap.  (Thats why the paint is smudged)  It was actually partly a good thing because when I spray painted the top, some paint had seeped into the pump and I had to send water through in order to unclog it.  But it works now!

Well, these are my latest projects! My sister is supposed to be having her baby this week, so I’m hoping while I’m home I can take some newborn pictures! Hopefully, I’ll be posting a blog on that soon!


Posted: 2/28/13

No comments:

Post a Comment