Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Mile Marker 5: Materialism

Wow, two posts in one day? Are you kidding?! I am so on the ball, its ridiculous! ;)

Basically, I am having a mental dilemma, if you will. (Comments, Feedback, and Discussion is appreciated)

I’ve never been afraid of working my life away.  I see it as a means to an end.  In fact, I used to consider myself a bit of a work-a-holic.

Out of high school, I took a 2 year sabbatical from the education process.  I landed a full-time job as a receptionist at a medical office as well as a part-time job at a restaurant.  I liked having money in my pocket to spend.  My best friend/sister had gone away to college, I worked with my other friends, so what did it matter that I was pretty much always at work?

Finally, I went away to college, and my first year I didn’t work. AH! I went through withdraws! I had no money, and I didn’t know what to do with myself!  The next year, I applied and got hired for a work-study position as the office assistant to my resident hall director.  It was 8 hours a week if I was lucky. At least I had a few bucks to have fun with.

I packed 4 years of college into 3 by taking summer classes and heavy-load semesters.  My third year, I got a full-time job at a hotel and worked as PR Director for a campus club.  I don’t know if I really slept much, but I liked that I had no financial worries.

Somehow, I managed to date, get engaged, and get married through my hectic college career. :) Thanks, Husband, for being loving through the whole process.

Here I am now: I am married. I have a full-time job. I have a house. And as I knew they someday would, my (and my husband’s) student loans are in full-repayment.

Yes, yes, I am getting to my dilemma.

We are doing well.  We have everything we need, and we are managing to pay our bills. YAY for being self-sufficient adults!

There are other things, however, that I would like to be able have or prepare for.
I am now wanting to get a second job so that I can have some sort of spending allowance, start saving for a family, start saving for a new car, and I would love to be able to purchase things for my photography business.

Is it wrong to want these things?  Sometimes I feel like I am being too materialistic in wanting these things, and other times, I think that it shouldn’t be wrong to want them.  I have no desire to “keep up with the Jones’”.  I would just love to be able to go buy some fabric for a new project or a new shirt without have to sit down and discuss how a $10 “extra” purchase will throw us off.

Do I need to try to “want things” less, or is it okay to go get a second job?  Am I too materialistic, or is it okay to want a more comfortable lifestyle?

I realize that I am fairly recently out of college, and the job I have now pays okay, but it is not the end-goal.  Can’t I temporarily get a second job to allow for some other activities to be possible?

These are the processes firing in my brain at the moment, and I’d love to hear your thoughts!  You can hate on me, or make me feel better, or just whatever!

Talk to me, people!

xoxo,
Linda

Posted: 3/8/13

No comments:

Post a Comment