Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Mile Marker 13: What Constitutes a Response?

First of all, I hope you all had a wonderful Easter!  I can't wait for Wordless Wednesday tomorrow! I'm hoping to have some adorable baby pictures to post, so come back then! :)

Our gorgeous drive to Oklahoma!

Now on to my rant for today:

I. Hate. Arguments via Facebook Statuses and Comments.

The last week has made me consider very seriously whether or not to check my Facebook feed.  I know that it's your page, you can post what you'd like.  I just don't understand the point of arguing with someone for hours or even days on social media.  Write a blog about it! E-mail about it! But why does your argument need to be all I see for a week at a time?!  What good does it do?!

...now that I got that off my chest.

My sister (twin) and I are completely different when it comes to how we handle confrontation.  She handles it, and I don't. (I'm pretty sure "Passive" is my silent first name.) :)  We're kind of the perfect pair...

I like institutions and organizations.  The bigger the better! 
My sister cringes at even the slightest inclination of a label or an association. (Don't ever call her trendy.  I learned that one the hard way, and I was only complimenting her outfit.)

The good thing is that when it comes to us dealing with each other, we are open to advice.  I can only speak for myself, but I have learned SO much from my sister.  She has this amazing confidence.  She knows who she is and where she stands.  She admits when she doesn't know everything, and she does her research to make sure she backs her beliefs 100%.  Basically, I want to be like her when I grow up.

During this last week of marriage equality discussions on social media, my sister and I were discussing a status posted by someone we know from our home state.  Pam's fingers were oozing with righteous indignation, and she just wanted to light up that status!  I, on the other hand, didn't see the point.  Even though I agree with her and think that he shouldn't be saying the things he was, I didn't see how a comment on his status would make a difference.

Her reasoning was that scripture tells us that we as Christians are to hold our brethren accountable.  After some further discussion, we agreed that a Facebook status wasn't the place for that.

What is your take?  What constitutes a response?

xoxo,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment