Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Mile Marker 16: Thankful


So excited about CiCi's Pizza!

I have days like today when I am overwhelmingly thankful for my life, the people in my life, and the decisions that have brought me to this.       exact.      moment.

I grew up in a Christian home.  For most of my life, I went to the same church.  In fact, it is really the only church I remember ever going to until college.  My favorite thing that I learned there and the thing that I repeat to EVERYONE (Because I can kiiiiind of  be a broken record and it also applies to. well. everything.) is:

obedience brings the blessing

Now, I am not going to sit here and tell you that I have always been obedient to every single thing that my authority has ever told me. While I was always my parent's perfect little angel and one and only pride and joy (HAH, yeah, I can say that because this blog belongs to me and not my three other siblings), that's just not the truth.

Cool kids on vacation in St. Louis.
I was a typical kid who didn't listen.  It wasn't until my later years in high school and when I graduated that this lesson really sunk in.  

Senior picture with dark hair
Maybe it was because I was freaking out about being an adult or because I'm a pro at learning from other people's mistakes or maybe it was due to the fact that I have an amazing set of parents who showed me that they want the best for me.  Whatever the combination of factors that occurred, it became very important to me that I had not only my parents permission but my parents blessing for the decisions I made. As hard as it might have been, I heeded their instruction when they cautioned me and flat out said "no".

I honestly believe that God blesses obedience. 

He replied, “Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.”
Luke 11:28  

Basically...
I am beyond thankful for where I am.  I am a people pleaser to the core.  I have wanted the approval of people (and I honestly still do this to an extent) all my life.  As far as college goes, it wasn't until I had really set my priorities straight and figured out how to reach that goal that I could get out from underneath the pressure to stay where I was.


College Graduation
When I think about the different crushes I had growing up (I didn't date because #1 I didn't have anyone asking, but #2 it wasn't allowed in our house), I just think about how I used to try to change myself to be more of what I thought that guy wanted.  (Obviously, that only ended up with me being disappointed when the guy started dating some else.) Now I look at the man that I have been blessed to spend the rest of my life with, and I am SO thankful that I settling for 2nd best wasn't an option.  

The best day of my life.
I just have to share this excerpt from the other night about my sweet sweet man.  We were eating dinner (without the t.v. on which is a rare occurrence with us), and we were talking about our parents, their lives, kids, and all that comes along with it. (In case you haven't heard, we want babies.  Like. Now.Kody says, "I just really want to be the kind of dad that tells his kids how proud he is of them."  I mean, GAH! He is going to be the best father.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I have ventured away from my subject and talked about things that weren't in my mind to blog about originally, BUT!  The point is that I am thankful.  I'm thankful to serve a God who is loving, good, and faithful. I'm thankful to have a husband who is patient, kind, and funny.  I'm thankful to have 2 incredible families who are supportive and God-fearing.

I am thankful for my life.

Have you thought about the things in your life that you are thankful for?  What are they?  If you haven't thought about it for a while, do it! It might just change your perspective on things.

xoxo,
Linda


No comments:

Post a Comment