Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Mile Marker 17: Housework

Here's the deal, ya'll:

I'm a horrible housewife, and that's all there is to it.

I've read all these blogs that say housework is as easy as picking up for 10 minutes a day and then it never gets bad...  Well, here is what I think of that:

BLECK!

I'm an all or nothin' gal...so that pretty much ends up being nothin' and then my house is a cluttered, dusty, and a clothes everywhere kind of place (and I don't even have kids yet).

I like to think that my husband and I have a nice little routine: he does the dishes while I fix dinner.  I'm sure he'd like it if we switched that up once in a while, but I would rather make the mess than clean it up.  :) 

Kody always tells me that I had him tricked because when we were dating I LOVED doing dishes.  I did them at his parents (brownie points anyone?), I did them at our friends houses, I LOVED doing dishes...and then I got a place of my own and the thrill was kiiiind of gone.  And I legitimately like doing dishes, but it's only when I don't have to do them.

Then there's the laundry!

There are only 2 of us, and it STILL never stops!  After it piles up for so long, Kody will spend a weekend catching up on it.  There are just too many other things I have to do or would rather be doing.  Again, I LOVE folding laundry, but only when I don't have to. (I feel the need to clarify that I do contribute to our marriage, but I'm a planner! Who needs the day to day stuff when you have a future to look at?!)

Unfortunately, admitting you have a problem doesn't magically solve the problem. (Why can't it be that easy?!)

After planning a weekly Skype session with my sister to discuss our future business plans and projects, I realized something!  I need to do that for housework too!

See, I'm an all or nothing kind of person.  If I'm going to do something, why can't we just knock it out right then? (I have little to no impulse control) I don't have the patience for this whole "10 minutes a day" garbage.  Let's just get it done!

So, my solution?  One night a week will be devoted to the cleaning and organizing of the house.  If one week the house is already clean, then the deeper cleaning projects can commence!

When I was growing up, I seem to remember a Saturday morning family cleans the house event or something...  Wow. My mom was/is smart. :)  

The thing is... Who wants to ruin a perfectly good Saturday by doing chores? Bleck! (insert sour face here) Not me! 

So, week night it is.

I feel good.  I accomplished some brain organization today.

This weekend, Kody and I will be heading up north to visit the fam!  This will be our first road trip in our new SUV! :)  It's pretty much the best thing ever... I have a few photo sessions planned, so that will be fun.  Oh and let's not forget that I FINALLY get to meet my new niece!   
 
Have a wonderful week!

xoxo,
Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment